Often made mistakes

Forum for questions, discussions (off topic or travel issues) in English. Please write in English and use German for asking phrases or words only.
Kakteen
Mitglied
Mitglied

Re: Often made mistakes

Beitragvon Kakteen » 02.10.2012 - 17:53

Philso911 hat geschrieben:Now it's the highest railroad! (Jetzt ist höchste Eisebahn) xD
Hab ich zwar nie gesagt, aber diese Wort-für-Wort Üœbersetzungen sind teilweise echt der Hammer... :D

Da hat mein (nicht mehr ganz nüchterner) Kumpane vor zwei Jahren auch einen gelandet.
Als wir die Runde geschlossen haben und er das Zahlen übernommen hat, gab er dem Kellner das Geld und meinte großzügig:
"The Rest is Drinking Money!"
:D
Peinlicher noch, dass der Mann seiner ehemaligen Englisch-Lehrerin daneben saß...
Kimmi90
Mitglied
Mitglied
Beitragvon Kimmi90 » 18.10.2012 - 07:00

Sonjalein hat geschrieben:
Mariposa hat geschrieben:
My engl. speaking boyfriend and me have many made up words that only we know and sometimes I use them towards other people... I told someone the other day I had an "earworm"...

Haha, same with us, I asked my bf for the english word the other day.They don't have one, so we use 'earworm' now ;)

A funny thing i heard some time ago:
I was in a surfing shop with a german bloke and he wanted a stinger suit. So he took a wetsuit, went to see one of the shop ladies and asked her with a funny jellyfish-hand move "Does this protect against quolls?"(Quallen einfach verenglischt :D ) She just looked at him confused, looked at me- trying not to burst out laughing. I just said 'Stingers' and couldn't stop thinking about his Jellyfishmove :D it wouldn't have been all that funny without the move and his self-confident appearence.

What i still have a problem with it quick and fast. When to say what. Even my bf couldn't explain properly.

Quick when you just have a quick glance at something, or a car rushes by. "That car rushed by quickly"
And fast when something is doing something fast. "The car is driving fast"

But then again he said he doesn't really know either...

Plus - what i think is a plus for german people: We really learn the correct use of "your" and "you're" and "they're" "their" "there"
I have so many english/australian friends on facebook, who drive me crazy with their grammar! Same with "should of" .... grrr
becker09
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitragvon becker09 » 28.01.2013 - 21:48

Ist doch eine berechtigte Frage, ob der Wetsuit ihn auch vor Beutelmardern schützt :)
sunnyboy82
Mitglied
Mitglied
Beitragvon sunnyboy82 » 05.06.2013 - 10:31

Something you shouldnt confuse is the difference between going out for dinner and
eat out.
Happened to my in England and some girls shot me a weird look and my friends laughed. Explanation I got later on.
leinaDM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Beitragvon leinaDM » 07.06.2013 - 07:56

Kimmi90 hat geschrieben:
Sonjalein hat geschrieben:
Mariposa hat geschrieben:
My engl. speaking boyfriend and me have many made up words that only we know and sometimes I use them towards other people... I told someone the other day I had an "earworm"...

Haha, same with us, I asked my bf for the english word the other day.They don't have one, so we use 'earworm' now ;)

"Earworm" does exist as a calque in the english language tho - same as gesundheit, schmutz, kaputt etc.

I personally know native speakers that used it and made me laugh because of the connection to the german "Ohrwurm". :)

Just checked - it even has an english "Wikipedia aritcle" (if that says anything) :).

Something i walked right into was the second meaning of "muff". A friend of mine called to ask if i had seen his girlfriends ear muffs? So i walked into a room full of Canadians and shouted "Anyone seen Lizzies muffs?". They laughed for about 5 minutes.... :mrgreen:
Nach 4,5 Jahren unterwegs wieder in der Heimat....
sunnyboy82
Mitglied
Mitglied
Beitragvon sunnyboy82 » 07.06.2013 - 09:50

Ja muff ist schon ein tolles Wort. Zumindestens haben sie sich bestimmt gleich deinen Namen gemerkt. :D
Philso911
Moderator/in
Moderator/in
Beitragvon Philso911 » 07.06.2013 - 12:56

Kimmi90 hat geschrieben:What i still have a problem with it quick and fast. When to say what. Even my bf couldn't explain properly.

Quick when you just have a quick glance at something, or a car rushes by. "That car rushed by quickly"
And fast when something is doing something fast. "The car is driving fast"

But then again he said he doesn't really know either...

I think if you wanted to narrow the use of the two words down a little, you could start thinking of quick in timely manners and fast in speedy manners. For example:

1. "The car is moving quickly." This would mean the car is getting from A to B in a very time-effective manner. You are stressing the time-part of the movement.
2. "The car is moving fast." I don't think you would actually say this, you would rather just say "The car is fast", but for this example, we'll leave it like that. That means it's travelling at high speed, you are stressing the speed of the vehicle.

Another example:

1. "Let's have a look at this shop really quick." This would, in other terms, mean: "Let us have a little look around in this shop but not spend much time in there."
2. "Let's have a look at this shop really fast." Here, you would basically mean: "Let's run to and in this shop." This sentence is not something you would say either but again, whatever. It would mean that you are actually running or at least walking in a very hectic way.

And last, but not least, another example:

1. "On the German Autobahn, you are allowed to go as fast as you want ." Meaning: It does not matter at which speed you move your vehicle on the German Autobahn.
2. "On the German Autobahn, you are allowed to go as quick as you want ." Meaning: Nothing, really, it doesn't make a lot of sense. If you would want it to, though, it would probably be something like: "You can shorten or extend your journey on the German Autobahn for as long as you want to."

I hope this clears it up a little bit!

Kimmi90 hat geschrieben:Plus - what i think is a plus for german people: We really learn the correct use of "your" and "you're" and "they're" "their" "there"
I have so many english/australian friends on facebook, who drive me crazy with their grammar! Same with "should of" .... grrr

True! I don't understand how Aussies, English blokes and all the other native speakers can't tell the difference!
Bild
luke75
neues Mitglied
neues Mitglied
Beitragvon luke75 » 08.02.2014 - 07:55

This thread is helping me a lot, and i hope I can helps others too. Thanks :grins:

Zurück zu „English Talk“