English job report

Forum for questions, discussions (off topic or travel issues) in English. Please write in English and use German for asking phrases or words only.
Antworten
starstar
neues Mitglied

English job report

Beitrag von starstar » 15.02.2006 - 12:19

At the end of the month I will finish my internship at a German company. They will give me a job report (Arbeitszeugnis) in German but I also like to have one in English to be able to apply for international companies.

They offered me to translate or to write another job report in English myself. So this is where my problems start: As you know there is a "job report language" with specific codes and expressions to say specific things about job performance and behaviour in German. Is there a similar code in English? Can I just literally translate my job report into English?

I would be grateful if you gave me examples in how to write a very good English job report or reference. Maybe one of you is already in possession of such a document and could send it to me as a template? In addition, do you know websites providing such information?

Thank you very much in advance!
Barbarella
VIP Member
Beitrag von Barbarella » 15.02.2006 - 13:11

Hi starstar,

I can only speak from my own experience from working in the UK, not sure how it will be handled in other countries.

If you apply for a job at a British company or a job in Britain itself you do not need a written reference (that's the proper translation for Arbeitszeugnis). If you apply for a job at a company or recruitment agency (privater Arbeitsvermittler) you just send them a covering letter and CV (Curriculum Vitae = Lebenslauf), no photo and no references. Only exemption is if you apply for a job where you need to prove that you have a certain experience/exam, e.g. if you want to work as a nurse. In your CV you usually give a contact person (a former employer or similar) which a company/recruitment agency can contact if they want to have a reference.

Anyway, it's not wrong to get a written refence in English if you have the possibility. You never know when you might need it. I've asked all my employers in the UK to provide me one.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a special language/codes/expressions for written references in English. Just translate your German reference into English.

If you use the search option in this forum you might find older threads about references that might help you a bit.

Hope I could help you a little bit.
Barbarella
Antworten

Zurück zu „English Talk“